Venue: CC2, County Hall, Lewes. View directions
Contact: Simon Bailey Democratic Services Officer
14.1 The Committee approved as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 18 November 2020.
Disclosures of interests
Disclosures by all members present of personal interests in matters on the agenda, the nature of any interest and whether the member regards the interest as prejudicial under the terms of the Code of Conduct.
15.1 Councillor Barry Taylor declared a prejudicial interest in Item 5, in that he is the owner of a business near the application site and which had objected to the application. Councillor Taylor left the meeting during consideration of the item.
16.1 Reports referred to in the minutes below are contained in the minute book.
Reconfiguration of site layout including extension to yard; installation of vertical silo; installation of weighbridge; erection of storage building; operation of concrete crusher; new lighting scheme; new drainage infrastructure; full conversion of Brownings to office and HMO accommodation. Woodside Depot, Hailsham Road, Polegate, BN27 3PG - WD/843/CM PDF 227 KB
Report by the Director of Communities, Economy and Transport
17.1 The Committee considered a report by the Director of Communities, Economy and Transport.
17.2 Mrs Heather Rajaratnam and Mr Peter Mills spoke against the proposal.
17.3 Mr Stuart Austin, the applicant’s agent, and Mr James Bailey, the applicant, spoke in support of the proposal.
17.4 Councillor Stephen Shing spoke to highlight concerns regarding noise and hours of operation and the impacts on residents. Councillor Gerard Fox spoke to request the Committee refuse the application.
17.5 A motion to defer consideration of the application, to allow time for the hours of operation to be changed, in the light of objections received, between officers and the applicant was proposed, seconded, voted on and lost.
17.6 A motion to amend the proposed condition relating to the operation of the crusher was proposed and seconded, and that officers will agree the change to the wording of the condition with the Chair of the Committee.
17.7 Members have considered the officer’s report, comments of the four public speakers and two Local Members, together with the proposed amendment to the conditions and agree with the conclusion and reasons for recommendation set out in paragraph 7 of the report.
17.8 The Committee RESOLVED to grant planning permission, subject to the provisions of paragraph 17.6 above, and the following conditions, including Condition 3 which was agreed by officers and the Chair of the Committee:
1. The development hereby permitted shall be commenced before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission.
Reason: To comply with Section 91 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
2. The development hereby permitted shall be carried out in accordance with the plans, drawings and documents listed in the Schedule of Approved Plans.
Reason: For the avoidance of doubt and in the interests of proper planning.
3. During the daytime there shall be no screening or batching activities at the site except between the hours of 07.00 – 18.00 on Mondays to Fridays inclusive and 07.30 – 12.30 on Saturdays and no crushing activities except between the hours of 08.00 – 18.00 on Mondays to Fridays inclusive and 08.00 – 12.30 on Saturdays and there shall be no screening, batching or crushing activities at any time on Sundays, Bank and Public Holidays.
Reason: In the interests of safeguarding the amenities of persons in the locality, in accordance with Policy WMP25 of the East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Plan 2013.
4. The operational noise rating level determined at the noise sensitive receptors identified in the 24 Acoustics report, dated 27 August 2020 (ref. R7412-2 Rev 2), shall not exceed +5 dBA above the background noise level at any time during the day (i.e. between the hours of 07.00 - 18.00), as determined in accordance with BS 4142:2014 +A1:2019.
Reason: In the interests of safeguarding the amenities of persons living within the locality, in accordance with Policy WMP25 of the East Sussex, South Downs and Brighton & Hove Waste and Minerals Plan 2013.
5. The operational ... view the full minutes text for item 17.