Decision Maker: Lead Member for Education and Inclusion, Special Educational Needs and Disability
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider the approval of the DSG (Dedicated
Schools Grant) for 2017/18
28.1 The Lead Member considered a report by the Director of Children’s Services which sought approval for the allocation of the Dedicated Schools Grant for 2017/18, including the inter block transfers between the Schools Block, High Needs Block and Early Years Block.
28.2 RESOLVED to approve the allocation of the DSG budget for 2017/18, including the following inter block transfers:
· £4.3m inter block transfer from the Schools Block to the High Needs Block; and
· £22,800 inter block transfer from the Schools Block to the Early Years Block.
28.3 The pressures in the High Needs Block are significant and the additional funding is required to support the following areas:
· £600k to support school top up funding where there has been an increase in demand on top of increases in the band funding for children with EHCP’s.
· £1.3m to support the increase in requests for new and on-going placements with Post 16 providers.
· £2.4m to support the increase in demand for on-going placements post-19 within high cost independent special schools.
28.4 To maintain the Council’s commitment to the most vulnerable two year olds, an inter block transfer of £22,800 is requested for approval by Lead Member. This is to enable continued support to Band A children with an additional £0.80 per hour.
Report author: Aaron Sams
Publication date: 30/10/2017
Date of decision: 28/02/2017