Decision Maker: Lead Member for Education and Inclusion, Special Educational Needs and Disability
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To make a final decision on the proposed closure of Holy Cross CE Primary School following the publication of a statutory proposal by the local authority in September 2023.
In accordance with legislation, the proposal must be determined within two months of the end of the four-week representation period which followed publication.
35.1 The Lead Member considered a report by the Director of Children’s Services to determine the statutory proposal to discontinue Holy Cross Church of England Primary School on 31 December 2023.
35.2 The Lead Member RESOLVED to approve the closure of Holy Cross Church of England Primary School on 31 December 2023.
35.3 The local authority believes the case for the closure of Holy Cross is strong for the following reasons:
· The school has suffered from a lack of popularity in the local community for some years, which has led to falling pupil numbers going back over a decade.
· There are surplus school places in Uckfield. The local authority would work with local schools to ensure there are places available for children displaced from Holy Cross in the event it closes.
· The school has struggled to secure good outcomes for pupils over time.
· In recent years the school has experienced several changes of leadership and a significant turnover of teaching staff which has impacted on the quality and consistency of education.
· The diocese and the Interim Executive Board at the school are supportive of closure.
35.4 Having carefully considered the feedback received during the initial consultation and the subsequent representation period, the local authority concluded that Holy Cross can no longer be considered viable.
35.5 The Regulations set out the options the decision-maker has when making a decision on a closure proposal. The decision-maker can:
· reject the proposal;
· approve the proposal without modification;
· approve the proposal with such modifications as they think desirable; or
· approve the proposal, with or without modification, as specified in regulation 16 of the Establishment and Discontinuance Regulations.
Report author: Gary Langford
Publication date: 14/11/2023
Date of decision: 14/11/2023
Effective from: 21/11/2023