Decision Maker: Lead Member for Children and Families
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Lead Member is being asked to agree in principle that:
1) The council should accept a provisional grant offer to refurbish the JOFF Youth Centre in Peacehaven and replace Heathfield Youth Centre with a new building; and
2) Work should progress to finalise the grant agreement and, subject to confirmation, procure the work needed to build the centres.
3) The detailed arrangements should be delegated to the Director of Children’s Services to determine, in consultation with the Chief Operating Officer
5.1 The Lead Member considered a report by the Director of Children’s Services regarding the Grant funded capital project to refurbish Youth Centres.
5.2 The Lead Member RESOLVED to:
1) agree to the Council redeveloping Peacehaven Youth Centre (The Joff) and rebuilding Heathfield Youth Centre into Youth Hubs, subject to the receipt of grant funding for this purpose;
2) agree to the Council accepting the award of grant funding (as detailed in paragraph 1.1 of the report);
3) delegate authority to the Director of Children’s Services to agree the terms of the associated grant agreement; and
4) delegate authority to the Director of Children’s Services to take any action they consider appropriate to give effect to the above recommendations including, but not limited to, entering into the grant agreement.
5.3 The Council has been awarded capital funding to redevelop Peacehaven Youth Centre (The Joff) and rebuild Heathfield Youth Centre into Youth Hubs and revenue funding to enable delivery of youth services from alternative locations whilst construction takes place. Both awards are time limited to March 2025.
5.4 In order to progress with the grant, the Council will need to enter into a grant agreement with the Funder and the Council is in the process of finalising the terms and conditions for this. The timescales for delivery are tight and the Council needs to proceed imminently to ensure that the project programme is achievable.
Report author: Colin Edgley
Publication date: 21/06/2023
Date of decision: 21/06/2023
Decided at meeting: 21/06/2023 - Lead Member for Children and Families
Effective from: 28/06/2023