Decision Maker: Lead Member for Education and Inclusion, Special Educational Needs and Disability
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider Admission Arrangements for 2018/2019.
6.1 The Lead Member for Education and Inclusion, Special Educational Needs and Disability considered a report by the Director of Children’s Services which sought approval for admission arrangements for the 2017/18 school year.
6.2 RESOLVED: (1) to agree the proposed admission arrangements for the 2017/18 school year, including the following changes to the existing arrangements:
· To restrict the application of the sibling link so that children living within the
community area for a given school are a higher priority than siblings living outside the community area but including the proposed clarification set out in paragraph 2.6;
· To change the measurement of the home to school distance tie-break from shortest walking route to straight line; and
· To allow applications received after the closing date due to verified house move or other material change of circumstances to be treated as on time if received before a second deadline.
(2) to agree the following:
· The admission priorities as set out in Appendix 1, Agenda Item 6 (page 57)
· The admission numbers as set out in Appendix 4, Agenda Item 6 (page 65)
· The co-ordinated schemes as set out in Appendix 5, Agenda Item 6 (page 71)
6.3 East Sussex County Council has a statutory duty to determine its admission arrangements and consult on any proposed changes. Following consultation, it is the responsibility of the Lead Member to determine the admission arrangements for the school year 2017/18. With regard to the specific changes made to the oversubscription criteria:
· It is intended that the sibling priority and the proposal to allow late applications in respect of verified house moves will help ensure children are able to attend their nearest school.
· the change to the method for measuring distance from home to school for the tie break (from shortest walking route to straight line) will result in operational efficiencies that will help mitigate against planned savings.
Publication date: 01/12/2016
Date of decision: 22/02/2016